Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Macaron Fetish

I fell in love for the macaron the first time I ate one.

Let get this right, Macaron is not Macaroon. Macaron is a Parisian Pastry made famouse by Pierre Hermé about 10 years back when he was a pastry chef of Ladurée. Today, the macarons from Ladurée in Paris cost about 2 Euros per piece.

The urge to make macarons crossed my mind many times. As I am not really a good baker, it took me months of courage to actually attempt to making them.

I must admit that I have then a love-hate relationship with macarons. There are days when I stuck my nose in front of oven to look for feet only to find no feet macarons in the oven.

So there I was, making the first attempt in Nov, 2009. Result - Flat, ugly, rough macaron. I didn't have any photos of them, but they were flat and look like cookies! I was devastated.

Second attempt, round, puffy no feet macaron :(

Second attempt


I remember researching online about different method and then I decided to go for the third attempts. I found a recipe for 1 egg, which sounds good to me because if it fail, I didnt have to waste whole lot of ingrediants.

I piped the Macaron and waited anxiously in front of the oven, after mins, there come the feet.... i was so excited and danced around the kitchen as if I've won lotto!



Strangely, after this suscess, I counldn't get anymore macarons with feet in the next few bakes. Determinated, I kept trying and failing...I really wanted to tame this little suckers!! Until I came across finally a video from a Chef who lives in Quebec. And it helped me a lot!! So I hope I could share a few tips with you guys out there

I'll post the basic macaron recipe soon, please have a look.

Have fun baking
Kim

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    I accidently found your blog while I was searching cho macaron recipe. I tried the recipe of this website http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/strawberry-macaroons and I failed. I talked to myself maybe im not a macaron baker. However, after I read this article of yours, I got my confidence back and will be willing to give it another try.
    Thanks very much Kim. Hope you will go further in doing your dream.
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim

    I love all of your recipes, I'm 17, live at home and work. When ever I get time I decide to make some of your yummy macarons. For me cooking is something I want to do when I finish school. Also this is really inspirational and could you post more?? :)

    ReplyDelete